HOW TO CHOOSE THE PERFECT MED SPA FOR YOU
What is a medical spa? A medical spa or med spa, is a hybrid between med clinic and a day spa that typically operates under the supervision and control of a medical doctor or medical director. Med spa’s can treat conditions on your body and face like redness, brown spots and broken capillaries that cannot be treated by an esthetician.
Med spa differ in many ways but most offer treatments like, laser hair removal, tattoo removal, photo facials, injections like Botox and dermal fillers, chemical peels, weight loss, skin tightening and rejuvenation.
Medical spas have more of a clinical focus than day spas do but, also similarly offer services such as body treatments, reflexology and massage. Some med spas even have wellness services to provide acupuncture, naturalistic doctor consultations and nutritional counseling.
Factors you should consider before choosing a medical spa:
- Who is the medical spa owner and operated by? Does a doctor own it? If he or she on the premises on a regular basis performing treatments? Regulations may vary from state to state but generally a medical doctor has to oversee most procedures performed in the med spa. However, this does not mean that he or she will always be there. Sometime let med spas use their name but have very little involvement.
- Who’s performing the procedure? How long has the provider of the treatments actually been performing these services. These things are especially important to know when you are receiving laser hair removal. Some states don’t require to establishment to have a license and you could badly burned by someone who has little or no experience in this field. It’s always wise to ask how long the provider has been performing the treatment and if they have any before and after photos of their work.
- Is there equipment state of the art? How old is it? Prices seem like they are very high for laser skin tightening or rejuvenation but this is for a reason. The laser equipment is very expensive. Do some research on the type of equipment they use for the treatment you are interested in. You want to get the most up-to-date, least pain inducing technologies for treatments like laser skin tightening.
- Is the treatment effective? Can you see before and after photos of results? Sometimes cosmetic surgeons and doctors open med spas as a add on to their practice so they can sell additional services. If the doctor is suggesting treatments you don’t think you need, seek additional advice. Also, if they don’t have any before and after photos of their work, run! You want to be able to see the differences the treatment made.
- How many treatment does it take to see results? The answer to this question can be tough because every individual might react differently to the treatment. Some people might get great results after 1 or a few treatments, others may need ongoing treatments over the course of months. A general rule of thumb is to ask how long they expect before seeing results. They will usually have an average expected treatment period.
The best way to find the perfect med spa is to identify what your problem/issue is and then see which med spa’s offer those treatments. Be sure to ask all of these questions to your potential med spa choices to see how they stack up. Maybe make a pros and cons list of each to narrow it down to one choice. At the end of the day, make the Med spa you choose is the perfect on for “you”.